BRADFORD, PA – July 13, 2016 – The Allegheny National Forest recently installed two new interpretive signs at the Tidioute Overlook, a popular visitor area near US Route 62. The Overlook is located on a hill above the Allegheny Wild and Scenic River and offers spectacular views of the river, one of the islands that is part of the Allegheny Islands Wilderness and the Borough of Tidioute.The first sign provides information about the community of Tidioute, the site of the world’s first flowing oil well (1860) and the birthplace of the Standard Oil Company. It also describes the growth of the timber industry; the development of the railroad and a glimpse of what life was like in the early years of the area.
The second sign describes the view of the Allegheny Wild and Scenic River. Three sections of the Allegheny River, totaling 86.6 miles, were designated by Congress as a Wild and Scenic River for its outstanding recreational values. The river flows through areas of narrow forest valleys, wilderness islands, and has easy access for canoeing, kayaking and fishing. Both the Allegheny Wild and Scenic River and the Allegheny Islands Wilderness are managed by the Allegheny National Forest.
The project was a collaborative effort between the Allegheny National Forest and the Warren County Historical Society, who provided the photo for the Town Overlook sign. In addition, the Marienville Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) crew installed the signs, and funding for the signs was provided through a grant from The Eastern National Forest Interpretive Association (ENFIA).